Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Back in the Days When I was-a-teen-aga

The most memorable part of high school (which is in fact not a pretentious or sweeping statement to make, because I am now far enough away from high school that whatever comes to mind first is by default the most memorable, oui?) may have been anticipating "Stadium Arcadium."

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were, for me, The Thing. They were basically the only band I elected to let myself like that produced good music at any point over the fifteen or sixteen years I'd been alive by then, as opposed to...before that. Courtney Burtraw and I used to sit in the Silver Chips computer lab and spend time preparing for this album to come out. We made charts and lists and exotic plans to follow the band over the summer, and abroad, and to Albany when it seemed as if they weren't planning a pitstop in Washington. I watched the "Can't Stop" video (By the way...) and the "Dani California" video every day, unironically. I was wide eyed and faithful and there was absolutely nothing as exciting as holding my breath in anticipation for this album to come out. And it was the last CD I consciously bought, before I started cheating and using iTunes and what have you to get music.

This isn't serving a greater point. It's not particularly well-written or insightful, which is kind of a bummer because the whole need to impart this two paragraph memory came from a Chuck Klosterman essay I just read and decided to recreate in personal terms. But I'm kind of content to bask in this very warm, snuggly memory and leave you to do the same. Make your own intellectual leap, I'm going to listen to the Zephyr Song.

No comments: